Tanuki offers a true taste of Pan-Asian cuisine in a fun, casual environment. Located on bustling Alton Road at the corner of 11th street, Tanuki brings the spirit and flavors of Asia to South Beach with its flagship United States location.
Tanuki's menu, carefully curated by executive chef Drew Andrade, features modern twists on classics such as sushi and sashimi, dim sum and signature entrees including Tanuki's take on Peking Duck. In addition to an impressive sake and wine list, unique Asian-inspired cocktails compliment the cuisine.
Inspired by the mythical Japanese bearer of happiness and good fortune, Tanuki cultivates an energetic and friendly atmosphere. Locals and tourists alike are welcomed by the seven-foot tall Tanuki statue at the center of the restaurant.
Tanuki figures are found throughout Japan, especially in and around restaurants where they beckon drinkers and diners to enter and enjoy life through food and beverage. As a fun-loving figure, good fortune is denoted through his specific traits including:
◦ A big belly, signifying bold and calm decision-making
◦ A big tail, symbolizing steadiness and strength
◦ Big eyes, indicating the capability to judge the environment and make good decisions
◦ A structured hat, representing readiness and protection against the bad weather/bad times
◦ A friendly smile, offering a friendly attitude toward customers